Skip to main content

Watercolor Cards with Negative Space

I actually had a whole different project planned for my first blog post; however, thanks to a computer reboot, I ended up exploring a wholly new technique that I've never seen before. This technique is courtesy of Cards and Papercrafts Issue #178. The idea here is that by applying washi tape to a card and then watercoloring over it, you can create some cool negative space.

What you'll need:
White Cardstock
Black Cardstock
Watercolor brushes (or paint)
Washi tape
A die cut phrase of your choice.

This is the end product they show in the magazine:

Looks cool. And looks rather doable. Here was my concern: sometimes when I apply washi tape and then lift it, it destroys the paper. The danger was real, and it could result in all that watercoloring time. then lifting the washi tape and damaging the card. I tried out a couple washi tapes and found a nice thin strip that didn't seem as sticky. 

Here's the set up:


For my watercolors I wasn't super concerned. I kind of went wild. In retrospect, I might not use so much yellow. I didn't care about too much overlapping. I'm not the most artistic, and I was less concerned because at this point, I was convinced the watercolors bled through the tape and this whole project was for naught.


Much to my surprise:


Success!

Now, I have to be honest; I was just so excited that I missed a picture in all of this. I did have some minor bleed through in one section on the tape. This is why I placed my cut phrase "explore" where it is. It's covering up some bleeding there. I also cut out the word explore white once and in black twice. Then I glued two black "explores" to the white "explore" to make it pop. I'll be sure to document each step much closer next time.

After cutting out a slightly larger black slide, and then applying that to a general card base - this is my final product!



So I'm super happy with it. Both my worries were founded. I had a little bleed through and the card base did a little lifting in the upper right hand corner. I think I'm partly to blame as when I lifted the washi tape, I didn't peel it up in the reverse way I put it on. Additionally, the bleeding occurred because I didn't adhere the tape as tightly as I could. It's a small misstep.

This is an easy, colorful, and fun technique to apply. I'll definitely be returning to this technique in the coming weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Anna Griffin Empress Machine Review

For the past few months, I've really given my Anna Griffin Empress Machine a workout. For those not in the know, The Empress is a high powered non-crank emboss and die cutting machine. It's akin to devices such as the Cuttlebug, The Big Shot, or the Gemini. I Have a Cricut / Cameo / Silhouette - Why This? The short answer is, you can create texture in your cards. While the aforementioned devices are no doubt powerful and create designs that the Empress can only dream about, there's no doubt that emboss machines give textures and creates intricacy that cutting machines cannot compete with. My most complimented cards are not the ones with the most layers or even the most elegant, rather it's the cards with texture. Cricut and other Cutting Machines just lack that  ability to create the"feel" of a higher quality card. Pros of the Empress I absolutely adore my Empress. For those with arthritis or other mobility issues, a device like the Empress is a

Fab Friday #194 Entry: Fantastic Flip Card

This week, I finally used my Fantastic Flip Dies from Anna Griffin. I decided to make the card using the color palette designated by Fab Friday Challenge Blog . The colors were as follows: The color palette gave me a beach vibe; that said, I wanted to kind of flip the colors on their head. After much searching, I found a beautiful wallpaper print, and decided that would be the basis of the card. The trickiest color to implement was the Bermuda Bay color. In order to create a surprise, you only see hints of the bay while it's close, and the color doesn't truly shine until you see the card fully open. The card didn't exactly come out the way I planned originally. I expected the background to be uniform (since the directions indicated that double sided paper was suggested). It means the emboss didn't really shine the way it would on monochromatic paper, but I chose this paper specifically for the challenge. Still, after it sat for a while, I became fond of the two sided pa

CAS[E] this Sketch! Challenge #399 Entry: Holly and Christmas Truck Cards

This week over on the CAS[E] this Sketch! Blog  they offered a clean and simple sketch that was a pure delight. As those around here know, CAS cards are not really my specialty. I spend much more time with layers upon layers; nevertheless, this allowed me to go to the basics and get some simple Christmas Cards done. The sketch was as follows: I really wanted to stay true to the blocking of the sketch. Ultimately, I created four variations on the sketch design. My first card leaned into the sketch as shown. I used some holiday scraps to give the design a little pop. My second card used the same scraps, but with a different stamp sentiment. This is the second time this week I've used this Truck Recollections stamp, but I really can't get enough of it. Something about the truck and plaid played really nicely together. I then went for the green variations: Really the exact same set up in green. And here was the fourth variation: In the background you can see my gorgeous new rainbo